A Brief History
The Bischoff Hotel was built in 1909 and was the first concrete building in Waratah. Messrs Ikin and Harold Illingsworth, formerly local carriers, were then licensees and had the present hotel built for them by Boags Brewery. It takes its name from Mount Bischoff which was named after Mr. James Bischoff, chairman of the Van Diemen's Land Company in 1828.
The first Bischoff Hotel was built in the early 1870s shortly after the discovery of the Mount Bischoff tin mine. It was built from timber and flat iron with an imitation brick pattern and was destroyed by fire in the late 1890s. There were several more fires over the years that fully or partially destroyed the Bischoff Hotel and surrounding buildings.
In 1883 Mount Bischoff Mine was the first industrial plant in Australia to be lit by electric light.
OPEN EVERY DAY* 10am to 8pm
We close between 8pm and 10pm depending on patronage
CHRISTMAS 2023 TRADING HOURS:
18th - 22nd December: Open from 4pm - 7pm (Bar & Bottle Shop Only)
23rd Dec - 1st Jan 2024: CLOSED
We reopen on 2nd January 2023